e-Transfer is a simple, convenient, and secure way to send and receive money directly from one bank account to another. All you need is access to online banking, and you can send money to anyone with an email address and a bank account in Canada — without sharing any personal or financial information. It’s a great alternative to cheques, cash, money orders and wires.
With Interac® e-Transfer you can:
- Send money to children at college
- Send gifts to friends or family
- Pay your rent electronically
- Settle a bill with a friends and so much more!
When you (the sender) initiate an e-Transfer transaction through online banking, an e-Transfer notification is generated by Interac® through email or text message and sent to the recipient.
The recipient can accept or decline the e-Transfer by clicking on the transaction link on the notification email / text message. The recipient will need to sign in to their online banking service (at any financial institution) and answer a security question to complete the transaction and access the funds.
The fee to send an e-Transfer is $1.00. There is no fee for Access Credit Union members to receive an e-Transfer.
Money is not being sent by email or text message; only the notification travels over the Internet or over the air to advise the recipient that the transfer has been initiated and to provide instructions on how to deposit the money. You don’t need to know the recipient’s bank account number, and they never see yours. The only information exchanged is an email address, mobile phone number, or both, and a security question that you create and share with the recipient. The money always resides safely at the financial institution, and is transferred through existing payment networks that financial institutions have been using for years to settle cheques, ATM machine deposits and withdrawals.
To send an e-Transfer, all you need is an email address and/or a mobile phone number, and access to online banking.
How to Create your Recipient List:
- Login to online banking
- Click the Transfers heading from the left side menu
- Click on Add/Delete Recipients to open the recipient screen
- Click Add Recipient from the options provided on this screen
- Enter the recipient’s contact information and a security question and answer
- Click Add Recipient and Confirm
Now you’ll be able to see this recipient as an option to “Transfer to” when you send an e-Transfer. From the recipient manager in online banking, you’ll be able to edit this recipient’s information or delete them from your list at any time. Complete this quick set up for each recipient you’d like to add.
Sending the Interac® e-Transfer:
- click on Send e-Transfer and enter the amount and recipient.
- Don’t forget to let the recipient know the answer to the security question (but don’t send it with the transfer).
- When the funds are accepted, you will be notified through email, text message or both, whichever you chose in step 4.
Receiving an Interac® e-Transfer:
- the recipient will get either an email or a mobile text message from the sender of an e-Transfer.
- click on the link provided from the notification email or text message, You will be taken to the Interac® website and asked to select your financial institution.
- Login to online banking or mobile banking
- Answer the e-Transfer security question.
- Accept or decline the e-Transfer.
- Deposit the funds into the account of your choice.
- Add an optional message to the sender and confirm the e-Transfer.
- An e-Transfer receipt will display.
See the 4 easy steps on how to send and receive e-Transfers here.
See our FAQs here.
See the Interac eTransfer website and demo here.
See the list of participating financial institutions here.