- Provide a 100% guarantee of deposits held with Manitoba credit unions and the caisse.
- Ensure that credit unions and the caisse operate according to standards of sound business practice and that Credit Union Central of Manitoba operates according to prudential standards.
- Monitor credit union, caisse, and Credit Union Central of Manitoba’s performance and implement appropriate actions to reduce risk.
- Ensure compliance with The Manitoba Credit Unions and Caisses Populaires Act.
- Maintain sound business practices and standards
- Maintain minimum levels of capital and liquidity, as directed by legislation.
- Pay a quarterly assessment to maintain the Guarantee Fund at an acceptable level.
- DGCM provides an unlimited guarantee of all deposits in a Manitoba credit union or caisse including accrued interest to date of payout.
- This guarantee covers all deposits including chequing and savings accounts, term deposits/GICs (including those with terms exceeding five years), registered deposits, and foreign currency deposits.
- The guarantee does not cover non-deposit instruments such as members’ share capital (e.g. common, surplus, or preferred shares), mutual funds, and self-administered RRSPs that are not deposits (e.g. equity shares and mutual funds).
Not all financial institutions fall under the same legislation and deposit protection differs between provinces. Thankfully, Manitoban credit unions have comprehensive coverage through DGCM. Another great reason to choose Access.
For more information, visit the Deposit Guarantee Corporation of Manitoba website.